Choosing a Release Mode on Nikon D7000

D7000 Release ModeRelease mode allows you to choose how you want to release shutter of your camera. D7000 lets you choose from Single frame, Continuous mode, Self-timer mode, Remote control mode, Quiet mode and vibration-damping Mirror Up mode. D7000 comes with release mode dial lock which prevents from changing modes accidentally. When you want to change release mode, all you have to do is press the release mode dial lock release button on the left side of release mode dial (at the top-left edge of the camera) and rotate the release mode where you want to set to. Let’s get into the release modes that are available with D7000.

1. Single frame: In single shot mode, the D7000 takes one picture each time you press the shutter release button all the way down. If you are shooting in Autofocus mode, your subject should be properly focused before you press the shutter release button all the way down otherwise it won’t click the picture.

2. Continuous low speed (CL): This mode allows you to shoot bursts of 1 to 5 frames per second. This frame rate can be set in Custom Settings Menu #d6.

3. Continuous high speed (CH): You can shoot at up to 6 fps in this mode. While taking pictures in this mode, frame rate can slow down if camera’s memory buffer fills. This can force camera to wait until some of the pictures you have already taken are written to the memory card, freeing up more space in the buffer. Shutter speed slower than 1/250th second can also decrease frame rate.

4. Quiet shutter release: When you switched D7000’s release mode to quiet mode indicated by letter Q, it silences the camera’s beep noise, reduces the mirror sound it makes when it flips back down, and delays that “noise” until you release the shutter button.

5. Self-timer: Self-timer mode can be used to delay the shutter release by few seconds once shutter release button is pressed. This can be used as an alternative of remote release to reduce camera shake while taking long exposure photographs using tripod. You can specify delay of 2 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec or 20 sec by navigating through CSM #c3. You can also set number of shots taken and interval between each shot.

6. Remote control: This release mode can be used only when you want to use Nikon Wireless remote control, ML-L3, to remotely control shutter release button. You don’t have to use this mode when using Nikon MC-DC2 wired cable for shutter release. The remote control can be used in three modes: Delayed Remote (shutter releases two seconds after you press the button on the ML-L3 IR remote); Quick Response Remote (the shutter trips immediately when the button is pressed); and Remote Mirror Up (press once to flip up the mirror, a second time to release the shutter).

7. Mirror Up (Mup): When this mode is selected, pressing the shutter release button all the way down once lifts the mirror and pressing it a second time takes the picture and returns the mirror to it’s down position.

Want to write for Daily Photography Tips? Please send us an email at info@dailyphotographytips.net directly or you can also use contact form to reach us. Your email should include the title of the post you want to write and its draft so that we can review and approve it for the final posting on our website. We are looking forward to working with you.
About UM3$H

UM3$H is the founder and editor of Daily Photography Tips. Learn more about him here.

Comments

1. Anshuman Atre says:

Why does one need a delayed remote mode? Shouldn’t one be delaying the click on the remote instead?

2. Delayed remote mode is to prevent any camera shock after you press shutter release button. It is useful when you want to take any long exposure photographs and want to avoid camera movement once the shutter release button is pressed.

3. Anshuman Atre says:

Hi Umesh,

I am very novice, and sorry to be so naive. But I still didn’t get it. You don’t have to press the shutter release button on the camera to take the shot. You just wait and hit the remote. So my question again. Shouldn’t Quick remote mode suffice?

• Yeah but sometimes there is a moment when you want to delay your shot even using wireless remote control, say, you want to do self portrait and want to adjust yourself after pressing remote. It is just an add-on feature and some photographers prefer to use it.

4. Anshuman Atre says:

Thanks again. I am getting confused because in your blog you say “This release mode can be used only when you want to use Nikon Wireless remote control, ML-L3, to remotely control shutter release button. You don’t have to use this mode when using Nikon MC-DC2 wired cable for shutter release.”

So I guess I’ll just ignore this feature for now. 😀

5. Anshuman Atre says:

I think I figured this out. If you are aiming your remote from far (almost at the limit of the remote’s range), you have to extend your arm towards the camera and point directly at it. That shoots you in kind of “Nazi salute” posture! Hence the 2 sec delay. 😀

6. Thanks Anshuman for pointing out my mistake. That was typo. I have corrected my comment above.

7. Guys I can’t get the mirror up function to work using the wireless remote ,did everything I could think off,any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?BTW I have a nikon d7000

• Were you able to do so using shutter release button on camera though?

• oh yeah.got it to work after.went into menu/shooting menu/remote control mode and selected remote mirror up. then put release mode dial to remote and it worked. It only works from what I’ve been told with cable release on the MUP setting.

8. Thanks for the tips, I have a Nikon D800 and didn’t know what was that “Q” for.

9. I just bought the ML-L3 remote controller for my D7000.
    Under the shooting menu I set to remote control mode, but the ML-L3 did not fire
    the camera.
    Is there another setting or something I need to do?

• I think there is some limitations with wireless device. It has to be on proper line of sight with camera sensor. Please check on that and try again.

10. guys trying to get my head around the mirror up setting,once to raise the mirror then another to take the pic? I thought this setting was to eliminate shake but pressing the shutter button will cause shake!! Did I miss something?

• I know it is confusing but this feature is mainly to use for longer shutter speed or close up photography. When you lift the mirror up and ready for longer shutter speed (say 1/125th of second or more), all you need is lift the mirror, compose your shot and take the picture. I guess the idea is, there will be minimum shake during final shutter close than lifting shutter up and closing immediately in conventional way. I’m not sure if I explained it better or confused you more 🙂

11. Hey Guys. I have a Zeikos ze-wrl3 remote and D7000. When i use the remote and go to stop the exposure it takes another picture. I have to turn the camera off to stop it. You think its a problem with the cheap remote?

Thanks

• Can you please explain what do you mean by “stop the exposure”? In any case, your remote control should behave exactly as on camera shutter release button. When you spend $1,200 on camera, what’s the point of buying cheap accessories? I always suggest to go with genuine and branded products.

12. I’m having trouble with a slow recycle time on lights in a gym, didn’t know if I could change my rate to fix it or if I just have to suck it up. It’s like the lights cycle ever 1/4 to a 1/3 of a sec. Thanks for any help someone can get me.

13. Sorry if I was unclear, I’m shooting a Nikon D7000 with a Nikon 35mm 1.8 in a high school gym. The lights in the gym recycle every 1/4 to 1/3 a sec and I’m getting a green hue on 2 out of 3 frames i shoot in a row. I’ve tryed changing the WB to no end and I wasn’t sure if I could set my frame rate to off set the recycle time of the lights in the gym. I”m not using a flash as its a small gym and I don’t want to cause any distraction to the player. I hope that has cleared any confusion that I may have caused.

• Have you experienced this problem anywhere else (inside closed door or outside)? If you shoot in RAW, try to alter colors using software and see if that helps. Sometimes light setup are challenging, specially inside closed door and if there are different kind of light sources. Try shooting few pictures with same setup (Same white balance) outside and see what do you get. Experimenting different locations and light source can tell where the problem is. And if you get this problem everywhere, you may want to check with your camera dealer.

Also, I recommend updating latest firmware for your camera if available.

14. Im using a PIXEL RW-221 Wireless Remote for my nikon D7000.
    I cant get it to work on remote mode. It works only in mUP mode. Any idea why?
    I have to use the remote for my HDR bracketing shots. I want to press once and burst the frames. But when in mUP mode I have to click two times for every shot, One for the mirror to go up and other for shutter release.
    Do you know how I could get the remote to work on remote mode shown on the dial? I have set it up for quick release but wouldnt budge.
    Any help would be appreciated.

• Here are few things came up in my mind,
      1. Is your remote compatible with Camera?
      2. Please read (6. Remote Control) in this article and try to set one of three different option in remote control.
      3. If you want to take burst shot, you have to set into Continuous burst mode not in single mode.

15. In exploring how to best use the ML-L3 wireless remote with my D7000, I turned to a good book I got for the camera. However, the author (who shall remain unnamed) states that in MUP mode, the wireless remote can be in conjunction with MUP mode. When I tried, the camera would not respond; I even popped in a new battery in the remote, just to be sure. Alas, no response. However, when I plugged in my old wired remote, it worked as it should—one button press brings the mirror up, the second press exposes the shot. So, apparently, MUP mode only responds to a wired remote. I’d like to hear from anyone who has gotten this mode to work with the ML-L3.

16. I contacted Nikon support about this and they confirmed my minor experiment. MUP only works with the wired remote; the release mode has to be set to “remote” to use the ML-L3. Too bad, because I much prefer the wireless remote. I know you can use the menus in concert with the wireless remote to get the same function, but I’d prefer a simple dial setting. Oh well, still a great body.

17. bidhan dey says:

how can i take multiple shot in one frame ?
    not multiple Exposure .waiting for help.

18. Ramesh Agarwal says:

Which is the best remote for taking long exposures in bulb mode.?
    Will IR Remote suffice or is there a better option ?
    Thanks

• For wireless remote shutter release, Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared) is still best option. But usually I use Nikon MC-30A Remote Trigger Release for my D700. But I don’t think it works on D7000.

Happy Shooting!!